Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes can be made without butter. This recipe for olive oil mashed potatoes is surprisingly creamy and easy to make. Try this heart-healthy recipe for the holidays this year. Your guests will love it!
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1.5 pounds Russet or Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 whole milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Wash, peel and cut the 2 types of potatoes. According to Bon Appetit, using two types of potatoes results in the best texture.
- Put the potato pieces in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Don’t forget to add salt to the water.
- Simmer the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until they fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and then add the milk. Continue mashing until they are mostly smooth.
- Add olive oil and continue to mash until they are creamy. Season with salt.
- To serve, transfer to a dish and drizzle with olive oil.
This recipe can be made without dairy by reserving some of the potato cooking water. Use the cooking water instead of milk to achieve the desired consistency.